SYD - JNB
Find cheap flights from Sydney to Johannesburg
Good to know
|March||Best time to beat the crowds (13% less expensive on average)|
|December||Most popular time to fly (27% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|R1 083||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
|R1 097||or less|
When to book flights from Sydney to Johannesburg
Top tips for finding a cheap flight
- Looking for a cheap flight? 25% of our users found flights on this route for R20 526 or less.
- The cheapest flight from Sydney to Johannesburg was found, on average, 32 days before departure.
- Book at least 2 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be November, December and January. The cheapest month to fly is March.
- Morning departure is around 20% cheaper than an evening flight, on average*.
- A variety of airlines make the journey from Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD) to Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB); however, we recommend looking at Qatar Airways, Etihad Airways, and Virgin Australia if you want to find the greatest variety of flight times and price points.
- The majority of flights from Sydney to Johannesburg can vary in length from around 17-30h. If you are looking to spend less time in the air and more time relaxing on your holiday, we recommend looking at airlines like Virgin Australia and South African Airways as on average they have the fastest travel times.
- On most days of the week, Qantas offers a single direct flight from Sydney to Johannesburg. While cheaper flights are available, we recommend exploring this option for travellers looking for the shortest possible flight time.
- For travellers looking to visit surrounding cities in South Africa, such as Pretoria, journeying to Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB) is advisable as flights into this airport will generally by cheaper and more accessible than flights to airports in or close to nearby cities.
- For travellers looking to exchange money after they arrive in Johannesburg, the Arrival Area of Terminal A has facilities such as Master Currency and Travelex for your convenience. Alternatively, for individuals seeking a bank branch, ABSA and African Bank both have branches in the Arrival Area of Terminal A, and First National Bank, Nedbank, and Standard Bank all have branches in the retail area of Terminal B.
- While there are no hotels in Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB), for travellers arriving late and not wanting to journey into the city, there are several hotels to choose from that are situated close to the airport. We recommend the Protea Airport Hotel because, while it may be a 10min journey from the airport, its free shuttle service to and from the airport ensures a hassle-free journey for late night travellers.
FAQs for booking Sydney to Johannesburg flights
How long does a flight from Sydney to Johannesburg take?
Which airlines provide the cheapest flights from Sydney to Johannesburg?
What’s the cheapest day of the week to fly from Sydney to Johannesburg?
Which airports will I be using when flying from Sydney to Johannesburg?
How do I get to Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD) without a car?
Does Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB) have any lounges?
Which terminals are used for international flights?
Does Johannesburg have multiple airports?
What is the best way to travel from Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport (JNB) to the city centre?
How does KAYAK find such low prices on flights from Sydney to Johannesburg?
How does KAYAK's flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy my flight ticket from Sydney to Johannesburg?
What is the Hacker Fare option on flights from Sydney to Johannesburg?
What is KAYAK's "flexible dates" feature and why should I care when looking for a flight from Sydney to Johannesburg?
Top 5 airlines serving Sydney Kingsford Smith to Johannesburg OR Tambo
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book cheap flights from Sydney to Johannesburg
Recent return flight deals
Search by stops
Recent one-way flight deals
Search by stops
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller
At KAYAK we don’t set prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We aggregate tons of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we don't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find on occasion that certain prices are no longer available.
More questions or if you have a bad price to report to us
Please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.